Apr 28, 2012

New logo, new uniforms, new conference?

THE NEW LOGO: MY TAKE
I love it. I was skeptical as all hell, and I didn't totally know what to expect... but I love it. It's simple, sleek, identifiable, modern, and probably above anything, versatile!

I knew going in that it couldn't be anything too gaudy or flashy. Nike is smart enough to know that Cache Valley is a very conservative market in which they're trying to appeal to, so it was going to have to be something updated and modern, but still something that could appeal to the bulk of the non-risk taker fans.


THE NEW UNIFORMS
Regardless of how you feel about the new logo, if you try and tell me that the new uniforms don't look good, the value of your opinion is gone in my book. The uniforms were absolutely spectacular. They all used the same style of text in saying "Utah State", as well as three choices in color with the Aggie blue, fighting white, and the all new gritty grey (yeah, you heard it here first).

Again with keeping things both somewhat simple and conservative, while still getting new and updated, I think the uniforms do just that with a great balance of it all.

Above all else, they represent this total image overhaul for USU. The uniforms, along with the new basketball court and football field will all have a fresh, new, modern look.

Oh, and we now have blue football helmets, which are insanely bad ass!!!


FOR THE HATERS...
I suppose I can see how might not like it a ton right away, especially with the amount of hype that came along with it all. To that I have these takes.

1) Without a doubt, both the athletic department and Nike are going to want to hype the holy hell out of this. It gets attention for the program, it's a whole revamp of the image, we've got Nike all over us with support, we have a new court and new field to show off, and soon a bunch of new athletic facilities that we can showcase as part of this rebuilding athletics image.

2) What exactly did you expect? Did you want something overly flashy and gaudy? If you want to point to the designs by Ben Barnes and say you liked those better, I'll accept that. He did an incredible job with those and I really liked them. If those had been the new logo, I would probably be just as stoked, but the finished product we have here is still excellent in my opinion. They flow with everything else from the uniforms, court, field... everything.

If I had one beef with it all, it's the small white box that encloses the word "State" on there. Having seen a draft of how it looks with it all flowing together, I kind of liked that more. It's a very small detail though, and could easily be changed down the road.


A NEW CONFERENCE?
I can't say for sure, but based on speculation, I'd say it looks pretty good. When Scott Barnes is saying in the press conference that he hopes to get rid of those WAC logos on the court, I really doubt he's saying that unless he knows something. Especially after all the times he said we'd be standing by the WAC and doing what it takes to build the conference we're in.

Anything more than that though would be speculation at this point.
 

IN CLOSING...
I freaking love it. It's not as drastic a change as I thought it would be with the hype, but with the uniforms, the court, the field and logo; I love it. It's a great updated change for Utah State University athletics.

Big props to Scott Barnes for helping make this happen. Big thanks to Charlie Denson from Nike for helping make this happen. Big thanks to Gary Andersen and Stew Morrill for running programs that have put Utah State into the national media spotlight over and over. Big thanks to the USU students for being amazing.

Great day to be an Aggie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment